Hyde Park - Sydney

Hyde Park - Sydney

Friday, February 12, 2010

21 January: The Everything Book


Something we ran into on the street...


These last couple days have been very tiring so after learning about contemporary Aboriginals in class I took a three hour nap and woke up in time to get dressed for the theatre show we were going to for a night time group excursion. The play was called The Everything Book, set in 1930s Amsterdam. The set was a GIANT book (a replica of the main character’s small book) and they would flip the pages for different scenes. The main character was a nine and a half year old boy (played by a MUCH older man who acted fantastically) and he was talking about his experiences in life at that particular time. It was a really cute play that sometimes got awkwardly serious, especially for a child’s play. I was in the front row which was aweeeeesome as I got a perfect view of all the goings-on.

There was a bit of audience interaction when we all got green ping pong balls during intermission and had to pretend they were frogs. The interaction was half of the audience throwing their frogs on stage at a certain part. Jesus (yes that one) had a part in the play, too. He ended up being some great comic relief. For example, when the cast was sweeping all the ‘frogs’ off state, Jesus says, “And Jesus swept.” We all laughed at that one. Some parts were improv and because there were almost 30 of us Americans in the audience they made some funny American references. At some point the characters were talking about an American author and Jesus says, “Oh those Americans.” Cheeky.

Following the play, Chris, Anna, Kaitlin and I were feeling frisky and decided to walk home which took about a half hour but I love me some night time jaunts. We stopped to get gelato on Glebe Point Road (nutella and baccio flavored – mmmmm) and then got a couple jugs at the AB Hotel. I’m sure after that I went home and passed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment