







Class trip with Rajini today! My class headed to a Sikh Temple in Southall, also known as 'Little India'. The temple is the biggest Sikh temple outside India's Golden Temple, pretty impressive. It took 30 million pounds to build, all collected out of donations since the 1970s. All the signs in the neighborhood are written in Urdu (I think) or whichever language is the most popular in the area. I have no clue. Anyway, the Sikhs are the people one would mostly see with a turban, not to be confused with Muslims. The temple was so welcoming and it was such a pleasant experience. We were allowed to go into the praying area and afterwords were given a really sweet porridge type fast-breaking food.
Next we were taken to their library and learned about the ten gurus and a little of the history...I now know where the word guru comes from; the Sikh religion! Then it was off to get fed! A key component of Sikh's believes are that food keeps people from being unhappy. Anywhere you go, you can go to a gurdwara and get a fine Indian meal. It's not just every other temple, ANYWHERE will serve ANYONE free food. The food was so scrumptious. There was rice pudding, curry potatoes, split pea soup stuff, naan, delicious Indian tea, and yogurt. I was definitely full after that.
It's really worth learning about new religions. I feel so enlightened after learning so much new information and dashing stereotypes!

No comments:
Post a Comment