Tuesday we had one class at 12:30pm with Dr. Rajini Pani called Diaspora Studies. Rajini is this really nice middle aged Indian woman. And guess what...she's an expert sociologist! WOO! The focus on the class is the different cultures in London. Seriously, this class is going to be so neat. We're going to experience all the different cultures on field trips during class time. They range from going to the thai area and having thai food with a restaurant she is very close with, going to some sort of festival hosted by the black people of London, touring Southall (the major area of Punjabs) and an expert reggae artist is going to come in and explain who and what makes up the black population. I'm so excited for this class, it's right up my alley and we get to be so immersed in what we are doing. All of these professors have their acts together and have so much to offer, especially because two of them are sociologists. I'll have to see what sort of major credits I can get.
Will and I also offered to be the first ones to present on the readings we have. It's really easy; just five minutes of us leading a discussion with some interesting points we found. The only thing I'm scared of is what she said about grading...apparently we, "shouldn't expect to get A's"...okay? At this point, I'm not too concerned about it. The class is so amazing that it doesn't really matter.
After class I went to Imperial College to see if I could find my stipend. No luck. Oh well, the next one comes on Wednesday and I have enough food to last me til then, thank god! I went from Imperial to Sainsburys', the grocery store, and enjoyed the alone shopping/walking time. I feel like I'm always around people so it was nice to just take my time and worry about myself.
When I came back everyone was just chilling, but then Jahsie, Greg, Liz, Will and I decided to go out to a pub called The Cantelope (lol). We road the tube to Liverpool Street and ended up in a business area that also seemed to have a younger trendier crowd. Apparently though, it wasn't late enough (it was like 7:00pm?) for all the business men to go home so we moved on to another pub. I have no memory as to what it was called, but it was half full of business men, half full of early twenties alternative people. The bartender was a really nice lass with crazy purple hair. Anyway, we got some drinks and left, moving onto another pub we saw. Much of the same thing. And then, being slightly buzzed, went home. Woo!
Friday, January 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment